Bad situations that you can overcome when traveling as a woman
As a woman, when you are moving, or even planning to travel, you are aware of the fact that there is a calendar that you must follow. This calendar is not from your boss, your job, your family, nor your social life. It is the biological calendar that tells you when you will get your period, for how long you might get it, and what sort of inconveniences you might have to face when you do.
When making plans to travel, for work, a family trip, or vacations, a lot of women stress about their menstrual cycle and whether or not they will be able to enjoy the trip properly without having to worry about menstrual hygiene products. I was one of those women, trust me.
Another concern, apart from enjoyment, could very well be the hygiene conditions of the place where you are traveling to, and whether or not you will have access to clean and private toilets that have running water and proper waste disposal methods. A lot of different factors may arise that can negatively impact your trip, which is why lots of women choose to deal with their menstrual cycle in a straightforward way: period delay treatments.
What are period delay treatments?
A period delay treatment is a way in which women can delay their menstrual cycles by either using homemade remedies, some exercise methods, or by using certain kinds of medication. More often than not, scientific data does not support the intended effect of homemade remedies or exercise methods, but the medicine that is administered for specific reasons has a significant success rate.
The main medication that may be used to delay your period is Norethisterone. Norethisterone and other period delay treatments are widely used by women across the world to ensure that their period can be delayed by a few days or even a few weeks.
How does it work?
The female body produces a hormone called progesterone. When the body is ready to shed the uterine lining, the progesterone levels found in the body begin to go down. This makes the uterine lining shed, which is basically the reason women bleed and get cramps during their period.
Norethisterone and other period delay treatments that work similar to it in increasing the level of progesterone in the body which does not allow the body to begin breaking down the uterine wall. By continually keeping the level of progesterone relatively constant, the body can maintain the uterine wall for longer and delay the period as well.
For this medication to work, however, you must start taking it at least three days before your period is actually expected. For this to be accurate, it is always advised to use a period tracker application so that you have a much more precise idea of when you expect your period.
When do people use such treatments?
There are a lot of different reasons and situations in which one might find themselves wanting to delay their period. A few of these are as follows:
1. A work trip that is very work intensive and does not allow you to focus on yourself. In such a case, especially when you are required to be in top shape, you cannot risk getting cramps that might hamper your ability to perform your best.
2. A honeymoon or vacation with your partner in which you plan to enjoy your quality time together. For those that have romantic plans for their travels, they might not wish to let a period get in the way.
3. Traveling to an area in which hygiene products are not readily available, or facilities are not available. In that case it becomes challenging to maintain your personal hygiene, especially if toilets are not easily accessible or clean enough.
4. Religiously motivated travels that require women not to be menstruating can also encourage women to use such treatments to prevent their period and to go about their religious rituals and activities without interference. Here I can mention for example visiting some religious sites, such as temples. For example, in some Asian countries women are not allowed to enter temples when menstruating.
5. When you are going to the beach, wellness or swimming pool and you don’t feel comfortble using tampons or menstrual cups.
A woman’s menstrual cycle is one thing that is difficult to stop and control as well. It is also something that should not be tampered with without any medical guidance.
For that very reason, here are a few precautions that you should keep in mind:
• Do not try to take any form of medication without consulting a doctor first. It is best to consult with your OB/GYN to see what sort of dosage you might need and whether or not there are any other concerns you should be aware of.
• Do not take more than the prescribed dose in the hopes that it will become more effective. There is a certain amount of progesterone that your body will require to maintain to ensure that the uterine lining does not begin to tear down. Anything more than that may cause hormonal issues.
• Do not use any form of Norethisterone or other similar medicines while you are on your period in the hopes that it will stop. There is yet to be any scientific development in stopping periods while a woman is already having one.
Please remember that the above mentioned method to delay your period is based on hormones. Personally, I avoid any hormones that were not produced in my body. So be careful with it and don’t use it every single month. Just really when needed. However, I can recommend you to eat more plant-based diet which helped me to get rid of menstrual cramps and my period got shorter, and it’s not painful any more. Since I became vegan in 2013 I have not had any menstrual problems and I can be active on the road as on any other day 🙂 If you are interested to find out more about this topic, check out my ebook about Vegan diet and how to stay fit when traveling.
Getting your period on holiday or while you are traveling can be embarrassing, difficult to manage, and extremely uncomfortable as well. There are a lot of issues that may arise, which is why women might want to delay their periods so that they do not coincide with their travels. There are simple ways to do this, and your OB/GYN or doctor can prescribe you the best one that is suited for you. Irrespective of how much you might want to enjoy the travels and not be inconvenienced, it is more important to take care of your health and be safe in whatever decision you choose.