Where to stay in La Paz Baja California – El Angel Azul
One of my biggest travel dreams has always been visiting Baja California Sur in Mexico and the famous Arch there. But it took me long time to realize that El Arco was far from being the only amazing landmark of Baja California Sur. La Paz, the capital of Baja California Sur, might be less know than Los Cabos but not less unique.
I spent 5 days exploring La Paz and its surrounding beaches out of which the first 2 nights I stayed at El Angel Azul guest house.
”The blue angel es mi casa” said the welcome paper on my bed. And since my first step into the Bed & Breakfast Inn I felt like at home.
What I liked in El Angel Azul:
- breakfast – 8 to 10 am, you can choose from 3 options – eggs with tortilla, fruit with yogurt/Swiss muesli, or toasts with butter and marmalade plus coffee, fresh papaya juice or tea. As you know me, I always opted for fresh papaya juice and fruit (without yogurt as I am vegan).
- water container with potable water in the kitchen- in such a heat in La Paz I even drank more than my usual 3 l of water per day and found it easier to just go to the kitchen to fill up my bottle whenever I needed.
- fast wifi around the B&B which worked very well – I could upload a lot of pictures into the posts I needed to publish, and even short videos to my facebook fanpage, really appreciated!
- non-smoking rooms – as a non-smoker, I was so thankful for this!
- beautiful garden – to be honest, most of my time in La Paz I spent in the El Angel Azul private garden. It felt like having my own quiet botanical garden with different plant species, trees, sun decks, tables and even hummingbirds! I was happier than a kid with the newest toy when I spotted 2 humming birds flying around the reddish flowers in the garden and letting me take photos of them. They seemed very used to people and I didn’t have to chase like crazy (I chased a humming bird in Tupiza in Bolivia and jumped to the bushes and got a 20 cm scratch.) The garden is the best place to be not only during the day but also at night when the atmosphere changes completely with the blue Christmas lights on the trees making me feel like in a fairy-tale.
- the fridge in the garden – there was no fridge in my room but I could put my stuff into the big fridge in the garden.
- the night guard to feel safe at night – even though it is a very safe town and nothing should happen to you here, it still makes you feel more sure about it.
- bar open from 5 pm to 7 pm – want some drinks with friends? There’s a little bar at El Angel Azul for you.
- since 2008 El Angel Azul is a proud member of the UN Foundation of Sustainable Tourism providing a green service to customers. So get ready for a lot of cute green signs around the Inn. Try to switch off the A/C and light when not in the room and save water. It was one of the VERY few accommodations where the A/C was not on when I entered my room which I couldn’t be more grateful for. I hate air con and so does my sinuses. The Inn recycles everything . You can also buy aluminium water bottles here to avoid buying plastic bottles with BPA each time. Biodegradable soap is used, soy oil in the kitchen, eggs from free-range local hens. No red meat no pork is served here which I loved as I don’t eat it and it is rare to find a place like that no matter where in the world you go. Big thumbs up from me!
- a lot of information can be found in the Inn – maps, brochures, leaflets, business cards but you are asked not to waste them -if you don’t need them, return them back to the entrance table and I really did. I dislike throwing out so much paper and personally I don’t even print things I don’t need.
- clean – I have to give another thumb up for amazing cleanness.
- peaceful and quiet – it was really great for working online or just for getting my quiet me time.
- helping out everyone who tries to save the world, nature and animals – a 10% discount on accommodation is offered to all those who come here to volunteer with whales, turtles, sea lions or other animals.
- simple traditional Mexican decoration all around which gives a special feeling
- spacious rooms