Maybe you remember that in 2011 I counted all my costs from the year on the road so you could have an idea how much I spent. Many people think you need to be a millionaire to travel around the world but it is not true! When traveling I spend more or less the same money as when I used to live in Scotland or Italy.
In 2011 I visited 14 countries, took 21 flights and the whole 2011 of traveling cost me 9,601.56 €.
In 2012 I visited 15 countries: Slovakia, Czech Republic, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Panama, USA, Egypt, Portugal, Spain, Italy, England, Hungary, Ukraine.
5 more countries were just stopovers where I did not see anything: Brazil, United Arab Emirates, Germany, Dominican Republic and Peru.
In 2012 I took 26 flights.
If I divide it into countries, then without the flights to get there, during:
- 5 weeks in Argentina I spent 853.38 €
- 4 weeks in Chile I spent 629.27 €
- 4 weeks in Bolivia I spent 510,12 €
- 3 weeks in Costa Rica I spent 735.85 € (I took a week of all inclusive holidays there which cost me 387,65 €)
- 3 and a half weeks in the USA I spent 660 €
As usual, the worst is always the transport. I also spent quite a lot on food as I love to get healthy food to stay fit when traveling and it usually costs more than junk food And I spent much more on the accommodation than in 2011 because of some unexpected things, such as having to pay a hotel in Barcelona for more than 400 € for 3 nights just because an apartment rental company messed up with my bookings and I ended up at the street; or when we broke up with my ex boyfriend and I had to pay the expensive accommodation in New York City when figuring out how to get over the break up.
And I found out that I spend more on shopping when in Slovakia so should stop it!
Diving all 2012 costs into categories:
- food – spent 1,734.27 €
- accommodation – 916.97 €
- transport – 4,012.32 €
- shopping and souvenirs – 1,895.18 € (I also bought a waterproof camera and a laptop)
- cosmetics – 377.37 €
- entrance to tourist attractions and visas – 223.39 €
- blogs and conferences – 564.74 €
- other – 2,202.59 € (including all inclusive holidays to Egypt for me and my mum)
In 2012 I spent 11,926.83 € for visiting 15 countries and taking 26 flights.
Which is 993.90 € per month.
I would have spent much more if I didn’t work with so many travel agencies, tourist boards, hotels, apartment rental and other sponsors.
In 2013 I will be doing Adventure and Spa project around the world so let’s see how it goes