Material things I thought I needed in life but traveling proved me wrong
There are so many reasons why I travel and how travel changes me as a person and how it makes my life better or worse. I have spoken about it many many times until now. Before I started traveling permanently I needed a huge bunch of things. You know, that’s what the materialistic approach of the world and life in the 21st century tells us, right?
We do need a lot of things in life to survive and to be happy.
And I was also one of the people who believed it.
Unfortunately, I was one of them until I quit my cabin crew job back in March 2011. However, fortunately, that was the beginning of a continuous change.
One of the positive effects traveling has had on my life is that travel makes me realize things that are truly important in life and also forget/avoid those that are not. Besides all those abstract things like relationships, love and other feelings, I want to dedicate this post to material things I thought I needed in life but traveling proved me wrong.
I never really liked shopping, at least not that much like other women do. And I hate to have too many things as it makes difficult to choose the best then. So when I got rid of 5 bags of clothes and shoes and gave them to charity when leaving Brindisi and becoming nomadic, it cleaned up more than just my wardrobes.
I realized these are the things I don’t need in life any more:
- a shoe cabinet of shoes of different colours and shapes – I swear I was never one of those shoe obsessed girls. I hate high heels so the biggest part of all my shoes have always been comfy flat shoes, ballerina shoes or sports/trekking shoes. Now I am pretty fine with a pair of flip flops and trekking shoes, sometimes I take black ballerina shoes to match all the dresses too.
- 3 wardrobes of clothes – yes I still have them full of unnecessary stuff back in my home town in Snina and never wear 80% of it. Hence, I enjoy light packing even though sometimes I might find it difficult to do the laundry pretty often when on the road so more clothes would come handy.
- wear a different piece of clothes every day – I am guilty of making this rule one of my obsessions in the past. Now it doesn’t matter that much when traveling as I meet new people almost every day so they don’t know what I wore the day before.
- a lot of jewelry – 99% of you don’t even know my left ear is pierced 3 times simply because since I travel more, I don’t use all the three earrings like I used to. No one cares when on the road. I have a big jewel-case back in the apartment where I was raised but hardly ever carry anything with me abroad. When I am at the beach, I never wear jewelry, when it’s cold either as it’s annoying me when I have a scarf, hat and gloves. Also many rings bother me when carrying a suitcase.
- tons of cosmetics: I stopped using powder, make-up, soaps, shower gel, body lotion, make-up remover, nail polish, hair spray and hair gel. I am more than fine using some natural wonders instead of chemically made cosmetics. I don’t die my hair when on the road as the sun and sea salt mess up with the colour then anyway.
- a comb: no, I don’t even use a comb. If styling my hair with fingers cannot make up for it, then I try a simpler hair style – usually none.
- pajamas – I never really liked them so since I’ve been traveling, I just sleep in shorts and a T-shirt. Oh yes, and you might see me in pajamas outside too. Just because you wouldn’t guess it’s my pajamas
- bras and bikini – if you’d looked into my underwear wardrobe years ago, you would have found all the possible colours and sexy styles. I was an underwear maniac! Now I just cannot and don’t want to carry them all with me in the suitcase so 2 pairs have to be fine.
- handbags – I am one of the few women who cannot stand handbags. I have always preferred small bags and never understood what other women carried in the huge heavy ones. Now I own only 2 handbags, a black Playboy one and a weird elegant one with a real high heel that can be used for annoying guys It is also the only high heel you could (almost) ever see me wearing. I don’t carry the handbags with me on the trips though.
my high heel handbag from Egypt
I have never had a car so I can’t include it in here but I am not sure if I will ever have one. There’s many more material things I don’t really need (and none of us does) that I could find if thinking deeper.
I really don’t get all those girls who travel with the whole bag of cosmetics. I carry a bag full of necessary gadgets and them the same full of chemicals they put on their skin and other parts of the body. I mean, what’t the point???
Have you found other material things you always thought you needed but don’t any more when traveling? Share in the comments.