Peaceful Viamede Resort in Kawarthas
In a beautiful natural setting just 2 hours from Toronto, a really quiet resort with exquisite dining is located – Viamede Resort. With a group of other bloggers we were lucky enough to stay for a few days when visiting Peterborough and Kawarthas and slightly get under the skin of the area in the early summer days. I fell in love with the place immediately. It was so calm yet giving me a lot of new energy. I can imagine doing yoga and meditation there every day. I could feel love and gratitude in every corner of Viamede Resort.
What I truly loved about Viamede Resort:
- peaceful location – situated only 30 min North from Peterborough right on the Stoney Lake. The best place to relax in Kawarthas.
- rooms in the main building and even private comfortable cottages to rent – some are waterfront luxury cottages.
- swimming pool with the view of Stoney Lake
- view from my room – I actually had a long balcony with the view of the pool and the lake. I could even open the curtains and see the lake straight from my bed. Loved the view after waking up and also at sunset time.
- outdoor grill place for a BBQ with friends/family/whoever you are visiting with
- a little brown sand beach and also kids playground
- many water sports – walking down to the marina to the right side, you can rent kayaks/canoes and get ready for some adventure canoeing to one of the small islands on the lake; or rent a boat for a fun fast ride on the lake. There’s different activities to do in all 4 seasons.
- Viamede Resort is very pet friendly and I admire them for taking care of a rescued dog Maggie. She even has her own Twitter account – MaggyViamede – with more than 200 followers, isn’t that awesome?! And she does tweet and reply to tweets, indeed! The resort is so pet friendly, that I even saw a sweet frog hanging out by the lake 🙂
- since 2011 there’s a farm at the resort – I am sure this is the first resort I have ever been to that grows their own animals so you can be sure that many meals are made from fresh meat right there. No stress in the slaughterhouse. Plus many herbs and root veggies grown at the farm too. Ben, the Swiss owner of Viamede Resort since 2010, even walked me to the farm to have a look of the animals. Gosh, the Tamworth piglets were so cute, playing around with each other, letting us to pet them, and even kissing Maggy on her nose. They have heritage breed chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese at the farm too.
- 3 well-known restaurants: 1885 in the main building, Inn Mount Julian and the Boathouse Pub with live music at the resort. For breakfast, that comes included in every room/cottage package, I had fruit, pancakes, cereals but also eggs, bacon and other breakfast items were available. Later on, we had also a 7-course gourmet tasting dinner menu prepared by Chef Matt Cowan. Every meal was a surprise and we always took some time to guess what the fresh ingredients were until Matt revealed us his secrets.
- a beautiful white chapel – if I remember right, you can even get married in here and the resort specializes on wedding receptions. Wow, what a romantic wedding place.
- Hilltop Conference Room great for business meetings.
- health spa – unfortunately it was being reconstructed when we were staying at Viamede Resort so I didn’t get a chance to get in but it should be fully operating now I believe. I guess that’s something left for my next time there 🙂
- 6 km of private hiking trails around Viamede resort, so cool!
***It took me 4 hours to write this post.