10 reasons why Barcelona is my favorite city in the world
Almost at every single interview I am asked the same questions over and over again … how did you start blogging? And what’s your number 1 place you love the most?
Well, traveling taught me the first impression is NOT always right … It happened to me a few times already when visiting a few places that at first I could not stand them but very soon they became my favorite hotspots.
The same thing happened with Barcelona, too.
I already described the whole story when I first visited the capital of Catalonia back in 2005 and how Barcelona went from disgust to my fave city in the world.
But why this city and not New York? Why was it not San Francisco that made it to the top of my travel list?
10 reasons why Barcelona is my favorite city in the world:
1. my first big solo trip was to Barcelona – 3 weeks on my own, dozens of new friends, hundreds of memories and lifelong passion for travel. It was the trip that made me fall in love with traveling.
2. Barcelona has it all – museums, beaches, good restaurants, shops, the best fruit/veggie/chocolate market La Boqueria, nature, parks, nice people, sexy accent, multicultural society … I could never get bored there, there’s hundreds of different things to do and even though I’ve been there for more than 20 – 30 times for sure, I can still find something I have not done there yet.
3. nice beaches – there’s very few big cities in the world where you can go to the beach right in town, and even less cities where you can enjoy really beautiful beaches! You can simply walk to a beach from the city center, love it! Plus, every beach in Barcelona is different, for different people
4. good accommodation – there’s plenty of many accommodation options to choose from affordable hostels or luxury hotels.
5. sports friendly – hundreds of people, both locals and tourists, go jogging, inline-skating, fast walking, cycling or they take their dog out for a walk along the beach. Palm trees, sand, stunning sunsets, and many people doing the same thing = awesome energy.
6. hills around – want to go for a hike or enjoy a romantic view from the top? You can do this in Barcelona as well –
7. I love Barcelona because I met the hottest actors in there – I hugged and kissed both Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley from the Vampire Diaries 🙂
8. in general, the city is full of handsome guys everywhere you look and as it is mostly hot there, many of them are walking shirtless. Sigh!
9. Barcelona is the right place for architecture lovers, buildings designed by Gaudi are all around.
10. shopping is the best ever – discounts all the time 🙂
As you can see, I could go on and on with all the positive things about Barcelona, my favorite city. Spending time in Barcelona simply makes me happy, and that’s what matters, right?
TIP: If you are visiting Barcelona and want to save both money and time, I highly recommend you to book your Barcelona tickets online. That’s the best thing to do if you are going to visit the most famous landmarks in the Catalonia capital. Otherwise, you could spend half a day waiting in the line to buy the entrance tickets.
Or you can buy your tickets to museums and other attractions here:
There’s many things you can do in Barcelona. For many of them, such as museums and other attractions, you would need to wait in line for quite some time just to buy the ticket in person. If you’d like to skip lines, you can book your passes here online to save time. All you will need then is your mobile phone so no printing of documents needed. I recommend you to do the following while in Barcelona:
- Barcelona museum pass online
- Camp Nou experience
- Casa Batllo entrance
- Casa Milá – La Pedrera
- Chocolate Museum
- City tour Barcelona
Barcelona is the best city in the whole world. I’m moving there in less than 2 weeks.
Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler
I agree. You will love it there 😉
I love Barcelona. There is so much to see there; each barrio giving its own sense of style and flair. The first place you solo travel always finds a special place in your heart. For me that was Prague, and I still get all sentimental every time I go there.
Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler
Barcelona and Prague are both my fave cities 🙂
I haven’t been to Barcelona but I think it’s really good based on your impression. However, I totally agree with you that no matter what a place has, as long as you enjoy staying there, then what’s more to say?
If you truly like a place, it doesn’t have to have everything, as long as it has what you need.
Thank you for sharing this!
Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler
I so have to agree with you. And Barcelona has most of the things I need 🙂
I love Barcelona too, Sexy, and agree with all your reasons. I didn’t kiss Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley. Just came from Barcelona. Funny, I stayed at the same hotel (according to your photo). Amazing city!