Once again are you thinking of a good holiday this year but do not know where to go and what to see. Maybe you don’t feel like visiting an overcrowded touristy place where just everyone goes. And this time you would probably love to check out an off-beaten path place. Are you asking yourself which one to choose? Have you been to Germany?
If not, and you would like to put your feet somewhere where not every single traveller has been to, then Hanover is the right place to go. And for example from the UK, it is very easy to get there. You can bookflights to Hanover from London Heathrow. And then from the HAJ airport, there are trains, buses and taxis to get you to the center of the town.
Hanover is a lovely town situated on the river Leine. Hannover is the capital of Lower Saxony and it used to be the seat of the Hanoverian kings of Great Britain. Nowadays, until 2020, Hanover is a Vice-President City of Mayors for Peace which is working on eliminating the nuclear weapons.
Why to take holidays to Hanover? What is there to see?
- it is a perfect place to experience the real German culture
- you have to try German sausages at Wurst-Basar
- there are long festivals hold in the town, such as Frühlingfest in April
- Hanover is awesome at Christmas time when it is full of traditional stalls; you have to taste the delicious Glühwein or the smoked salmon
- Hanover Zoo is a must (one of the best zoos in Europe), together with the ice shows
- visit Expo Plaza, Opera house and the center Kröpcke for entertainment and shopping
- visit the lovely building of the new town hall
- visit the Royal Gardens of Herrenhausen
- Ernst August memorial outside the train station
- n the district of Anderten is the European Cheese Centre, the only Cheese Experience Centre in Europe
- Market church
- Nolte House, Leibniz House and Beguine Tower
- Synagogue Memorial
- the historic Leibniz Letters (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) can be viewed in the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Library since 2007
- the Hanover fairground is the largest Exhibition Centre in the world – with the Hermes Tower and the largest wooden roof in the world – EXPO roof
- Waterloo Column
- Kestnergesellschaft – the largest art society in Germany
- in the House of 5.000 windows there is located the Kestner-Museum
- watch ice-hockey or rugby