Blogging is like life – 14 lessons I learned from blogging
After travel blogging for 28 months (started in October 2010) I have realized that blogging is like life in so many ways. Blogging itself teaches me about life, and vice versa. And you can never learn everything about life at once; not about blogging either. I learned from blogging so many things that also help me to understand life better.
There’s 14 lessons I learned from blogging.
I put up a list of things why blogging is like life:
1. You never know what people will like and what they will not. You do something in life you thought was a great idea but you get only criticism as an answer. Or the other way round – doing something silly in your opinion, might look ridiculously awesome to the rest of people. Same thing happens with blogging and your posts. Everything you do is risky. You can never please everyone, but why would you even try to do so? Please yourself, it’s your life!
2. Interesting. Not boring things are usually the best ones! And it is very easy to make your blog and life interesting, at least to you if not to others.
3. Both are completely unpredictable. Everything can seem perfect when you go to sleep, and then you wake up and find out it is far away from reality. There was a new update of a plugin or WordPress update that so messed up with your blog you are going mad, or something weird happened when you were asleep and it affected your life.
4. There are bad moments and then there are good ones. Nothing is perfect. Perfectness might be one of the very few impossible things on Earth. There always will be days when you want to quit and think you can’t do it any more. Yes, both in blogging and life.
5. Hard to understand. There’s always something new to learn. Life is difficult to understand, so is blogging. Many people out there have no idea about hard life of bloggers!
6. You need patience – things will not happen overnight, get ready for it! This has always been one of the most difficult things for me as patience is not my virtue. The word didn’t even exist in my dictionary before I started blogging. If I wanted something, I wanted it right now.
7. Discipline. To be successful in life or blogging, you need discipline. If you repeat things that do work and change those that don’t, you will eventually become good at what you are doing. Remember, great achievements take time.
8. Silly questions. We all hate them but you should prepare yourself for many silly questions about blogging and life. The worst thing is that it’s always the same questions over and over again.
9. There’s always something to improve. You can never be done with blogging. Trust me, it is a never-ending journey of improvements, changes, learning, efforts and hard work. Same applies to life.
10. There are lovers and haters – in life and also in blogging. Some will love and support everything you do, the others will always just criticize no matter what you do.
11. Jealousy – there’s always someone who will be jealous of you, your life and your blogging. Get over it, period.
12. Emotions evoke other emotions. If you write about emotional stuff on your blog, amazing or horrible, people will respond to it as it touches their feelings somehow. And it is the same with life.
13. People think that what they see at first sight, must be true. They can’t be bothered to ask you about the details, they don’t care what is true or false, what really happened, what you meant when you said this or that on your blog, or what was that thing in your life. People will make their own opinion about your blog and about your life no matter what. And it’s their right to do so.
14. It is not easy to find balance, not in life, not in blogging. I learned from blogging that to manage time properly is always the biggest problem for many of us.