Where to stay in Barcelona – a Wimdu apartment
During my I-stopped-counting-how-many-times visit to Barcelona in September 2012, I stayed in an apartment I booked via Wimdu whose motto is Travel like a local. I love everything local, so I told myself, why not to try it?
Accommodation in Barcelona is usually expensive, so having the whole apartment for myself only where I could work without anyone else disturbing me and not to pay too much, was exactly what I needed in between visiting the busy TBU and TBEX conferences.
I booked an Wimdu apartment for 72 Euros per night, run by its owner Alejandro. Since I booked it, the conversation via messages on both Wimdu website and emails with Alejandro was great, we agreed on the time of check in and check out easily.
Even though Alejandro was not in town on my check in day, he sent his nephew to open the apartment for me around 11 pm when I finally got to Barcelona city centre. So nice of them both! His nephew showed me anything I could need during my stay, gave me the keys and said goodbye.
Apart from breaking my laptop while there and my phone deciding to work only when I did not need it, I enjoyed so many things about the apartment:
- great location – walking distance to la Rambla main street of Barcelona, la Boqueria market, Arc de Triomf, shopping streets, and even beach.
- free fast wifi – there is nothing better for someone like me working online. I was literally sitting just next to the router, so could watch my favorite Slovak TV series online and work at the same time.
- I had my own kitchen so I could cook or just prepare my breakfast and dinner using all the plates and everything I needed. And also have a cup of green tea like I do every day.
- new apartment – everything worked properly and everything seemed very new.
- bathroom – very clean with great new shower
- shampoo, toilet paper, paper tissues and towels provided
- big bed – I just love big comfy beds so much!!!
- mosquito repellent and candles – oh yes, some romance and no bites!
- washing machine – this is one of the advantages of renting an apartment instead of staying in a hotel and paying a lot of money for the laundry. I could wash my clothes (there is everything you might need for that) and dried them up as well.
- books – in case you would get bored in the apartment, there is a bunch of books for you to read.
- impressive ceiling – I was on the sofa working when I needed a break and looked up without even knowing why, when I saw that wooden ceiling with pretty red light, very romantic!
- a small balcony – each morning after I woke up, I opened the balcony to breathe the fresh air and get the view of the sweet little balconies with colourful flowers.
- quiet – no noise at night which is a usual problem in Barcelona centre making it difficult to sleep. But this apartment is situated in one of the little side streets so you can sleep at night without any problems 🙂
Hi Alex, you’re totally right, BNC is a favorite – because of its inspiration and easy-going, sunny atmosphere. Since I have been visiting BCN for a billion times I always stayed at free space offered by locals. I really enjoy it to be part of the local BCN feeling. I made my best experiences with finding local accommodations by using http://www.ebab.com which I so recommend to you when organizing your next stay in BCN! The portal you mentioned in your post above unfortunately was a big disapointment to me.
Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler
Wimdu didn’t work out well for you? I used it for a few times and all went great, but I understand it depends on the hosts. And yes, BCN is the best! Glad to see you agree with me on this one.
crazy sexy fun traveler
Yeah, a guesthouse with a personal treatment might be nice too 🙂
I stayed at a B&B called Ana’s Guesthouse, and Ana was amazing. It was also like living in an apartment, and it was in the Eixample district, not too far from Casa Batllo. Next time I will check out Wimdu. how did you get a press trip thru them?
crazy sexy fun traveler
Carlos, deberias probar un apartamento de Wimdu tu tambien 🙂
Looks very nice that apartament. I haven’t try yet Windum, and i have some vouchers so try it…. I think for my next trip i should do it :P.
Anyway, Barcelona is an amazing city where you have very nice hostals/apartaments :):)