Ayurveda and Yoga Bali One World Retreats – day 5 detox
After the first four days of our One World Retreats, it was time for a detox day.
I had a very nice sleep even though I woke up twice to go to the toilet. Then I woke up at 4.30 am on my own feeling refreshed but stayed in bed one more hour.
At 6 am we gathered in the dining room to drink detox tea. Each one of us had a different dosage (detox powder mixed with approx. 100 ml of warm water.) We had to drink it at once as a shot and then drink a bit of warm water or bite into a piece of ginger with Himalayan salt to change the taste in our mouth if we didn’t like it. But surprisingly, personally I found it very tasty. I could taste cinnamon and chilli which reminded me of traditional Aztec/Mexican hot chocolate. Then we went for a walk around the property for a few minutes and chatted about Mexico with another girl.
We were advised to expect mild purges and keep sipping hot water for the next few hours. The more dizzy you feel, the more water you should drink. Dr. Aparna came to check on me at 8.40 am, and then again at 10.20 am.
Do’s and don’ts:
- relax in room
- sipping hot water
- keep warm
- no air conditioning
- no exercise
- no food
1 to 2 hours after detox tea:
- mild pain, cramps
- 3 or more purges is normal
- keep drinking hot water
- you may feel little tired
- no food until lunch
- headache, body ache – toxins getting dislodged and flushing out
- do not take any medicine
- keep drinking water to get rid of the toxins through the urine
I just had one super light purge and drank more than 2 liters of water. The headache disappeared and I felt very energized since 10 am, also walked around the bungalows a lot. Then in between writing articles I scrubbed my body with the natural scrub Dr. Aparna gave us a few days ago and took a long shower.
At 12.30 pm those of us who were doing fine could have an easy detox meal – rice porridge with turmeric and Himalayan salt. I had a very normal stool just after finishing the lunch, walked around once more and listened to the music. Then I watched a movie in bed but was so tired that I took a nap for 20 minutes. I started to feel really hungry again.
In the afternon those of us feeling ok had another lesson with Dr. Aparna.
We focused on air element. Every minute air is detoxing us when we breathe.
Pancha = five, karma = actions you do
There are 5 basic techniques taught in Ayurveda to detox the body.
Shodhna = elimination of the toxins
Before Panchakarma you have to prepare your body for it:
- Purva Karma = pre-therapy procedures (using oil, steam chambers, herbal bath)
- Pradhana Karma = Vamana induced vomiting, Virechana induced purgation (getting Pitta out of the body which reactivates the gastric flora), Basti medicated enema, Nasya nasal medication, Raktha Mokshana blood letting therapies (e.g. leech therapy)
- Paschat Karma = post-therapy dietetics is very important because our intestines are very soft now and the digestive fire gets stronger so we feel more hungry. Slowly you can eat something that will get easily absorbed. After, aphrodisiac and regenerative therapies can be done.
We eliminated water-soluble toxins from our body during the detox purge we did. More complex toxins stored in fat need more complicated procedure, such as Panchakarma (with massages.)
In Autumn, Vata gets more imbalanced because of too much air; in spring Kapha is increased and in summer Pitta.
Benefits of Panchkarma:
- reduces cholesterol, cardiovascular problems and blood pressure
- strengthens the immune system
- increases sexual potency, body strength
- everyone over 50 should take Panchakarma
- Panchakarma reduces the metabolic age and makes you look and feel younger
- it is scientifically proved that it helps with many diseases
- it also cleanses the mind and negative thoughts
- Panchakarma is not a very pleasant experience as you go through a healing crisis but afterwards you feel a huge difference in many aspects of your life
You need to go to a good certified Doctor to do a proper Panchakarma. It needs to be properly planned and monitored.
Mini detox you can do at home:
- no GMO, heavy dairy, processed artifcial food
- fresh fruit and veggies, porridge, soups, steamed veggies
- digestive herbal tea of spices: turmeric, coriander, fennel, cumin, ginger
- no stimulalnts: coffee, tea and alcohol
- sip hot water + ginger, cumin, star anise
- use safe herbal detoxing laxative Triphala (take 2 or 3 at night even using without a doctor on your own)
- continue the detox regimen for a few days
- practice yoga
- spend time in nature
- at least once a month do this to feel lighter
- drink water between the meals (10 am – 11 am is good before lunch, 2 hours after lunch) but not more than 3 litres per day
5 fingers in our body represent 5 elements:
thumb – space
index finger – air
middle – fire
ring – earth
pinkie – water
Touching different fingers at once brings us more balance.
Then we did a short meditation – first concentrate on the sounds around you (the environment), then your breath, body, emotions and feelings, thoughts. ”You are not your thoughts nor emotions. You are peace. You are love.” Check again your thoughts, emotions, body, breath and then the sounds.
After the Ayurveda class, we could take some rest again and then at 6.30 pm we had Kitchdi rice with turmeric Himalayan salt and star anise for dinner. I had 3 plates and the others mostly, too. We all felt starving after very little food for all day!
As we finished the dinner very early, some of us went to see the traditional Kecak dance and fire show just a few minutes away at the Pur Puseh temple. It was a stunning performance with a lot of male energy interlinked with some sweet female one. Parts of the show were even funny.
Then finally, early bed time at 9.30 pm. I felt like I could eat something again 😀
Check more photos from our Ayurveda and Yoga retreat in the album.
Read about our previous 4th day of the retreat, third day here and how it all started on the first two days.
I am eternally grateful for being able to participate at one of the One World Retreats at Kumara resort, the first one about Ayurveda. Everyone there was super nice and I had an incredible time. You can also check their new resort outside of Ubud and new website Oneworldayurveda.