Things I do at home and do not when I travel
I’ve just realized how fast time flies (once again!) It has been already 5 weeks since I’m back in Europe. It is almost half of the time I had spent in Mexico before. Unbelievable. And I see now I am being different at home, in Slovakia, than when I travel. Do I have two personalities??? Or what? How is that even possible? Shit! Tell me it is the same with you, please!
- I spend a lot of time with children. I have a 3-year-old brother, 5-year-old cousin, my friend’s son is going to be 3 as well and my mom works in a kindergarten.
- At home, I feel like doing nothing! I actually have to force myself a little bit to do something. Maybe because being at home is for me the proper relax, the real holidays. Because when I go on holidays somewhere else, I need to see and do as much as possible. I do not sleep there, I do not lie down and enjoy the whole day just staring or sleeping. I do explore. And most of the time, I come back home so destroyed after what people call ‘relaxing holidays’ that I just want to do nothing and spend the day on the sofa listening to the music, on the phone talking to my friends, or chatting on facebook.
- I watch TV, TV shows, stupid telenovelas, Rosamunde Pilcher’s romantic movies, I even watch TV news. Shame on me! Such a waste of time!
- I cannot fall asleep at night (before midnight I do not even try), then sleep in late and I’m absolutely useless until like 1 pm, which is when I drink at least 1 liter of tea/water. Otherwise I’m a walking zombie. Punch me! Just wake me up!
- Walking? Are you crazy? I can walk up to 30 km per day when I travel, but at home? Just the fact I have to go to the town centre which is like 8 min walking freaks me out! I prefer to go twice a week and stay there for 3 hours till everything is done, than to go every day for a bit. And take a walk to unknown places as I do twice during my trips? (one day light, one during the night) … You must be f*** kidding me now! No way! Better someone bring more popcorn and a telenovela as I’m not moving my ass of the couch! Not even to the kitchen.
- I eat all the time. Slovak cuisine is great! I guess that must be my mom’s fault and my grandma’s and friends’ as everywhere I go, I just have to eat, or they are pissed. Bye bye my healthy diet. I never buy sweets/chocolate/cakes but each time I visit someone (almost every day!), they offer me a huge bunch of them. How could I refuse? Then I have to try to be fit when traveling.
- I eat a lot of soups. I love them. I can make just 3 different ones when I travel. But my mom and grandma do them all the time. Once again, time to eat!
- I spend days visiting friends and family or them visiting me and there are days when I have no time for anything else. Then the days pass so fast even though it seems I’m doing nothing.
- I do not laugh that much.
- I get angry, nervous, anxious more often than when travel.
- I play tennis, table tennis, bowling, go to sauna and swimming pool. But still just once in a while so altogether I don’t move much and burn less calories than on the road. Where is the dislike button?!
- I dye both the eyebrows and the eyelashes myself and use facial masks. I do not do it at all on the road.
- I go to my hairdresser at home while I cut my hair by myself abroad. It is much cheaper at home and she knows already how to cut my hair so I don’t have to risk to leave like a shaggy chick.
- I do comb my hair at home. I use fingers on the road. I want no electric shock hairstyle to scare my potential future travel buddies. The fingers must be enough.
- I eat with my legs on the table and the laptop on my lap. I would love a table like that when travel 😀 Should I buy a bigger suitcase?
- I almost don’t text. I give missed calls and everyone calls me back. On the road I mostly text as calls are too expensive.
- I do not like to go anywhere on my own. Actually, I hate it. But I travel mostly alone, so what the heck?!
- Everyone takes care of me when at home. Sometimes I do not have to move a finger, even though I do everything myself when travel! I can’t complain but it makes me really lazy at home.
- At home I do use an umbrella. Never when travel. It is annoying to have it on me and it takes too much space.
- I use nail polish at home. There is a logical reason behind it. As I try to take with me only the necessary stuff on my trips, I do not take any nail polish nor the removers.
- I do not look at dark skin guys back home. Unfortunately, everyone darker than Ivory Beige in Slovakia can be only a gypsy, so NO, THANK YOU!
- You could see me in heels maybe once or twice at home, but never when I travel.
- I hitchhike up to 30 km from home, almost always. Usually together with my mom. I was hitchhiking just twice somewhere else. The first time was horrible, from Madrid to Madrid. The second, I ended up in Italy instead of Spain.
- With my dad we ride his Suzuki Intruder. I heart motorbikes. I wish someone was giving me bike rides when travel, too!
Does this weird thing happen to you when at home too? What is different for you on the road? Do you feel like a different person?